Thyroid disorders affect an estimated 20 million people in the U.S. Many people are not even aware that they have a thyroid problem, since the diagnosis is often missed. Thyroid disorders are considered to be on the rise, likely related to widespread nutrient deficiencies, exposure to environmental toxins, poor gut health, and the increasing prevalence of autoimmunity.
Not only are thyroid disorders often poorly diagnosed, they are frequently mistreated. Conventional therapies often fail to address the underlying cause of disease. Even after being placed on thyroid medication for their symptoms, many patients will continue to suffer with symptoms. Their doctors may insist that if their blood levels are normal, their symptoms can’t possibly be due to their thyroid. At Natural Balance, we take a holistic approach to treating the thyroid, by searching for the root cause of disease, and using natural therapies to regain balance in the thyroid. For a more detailed understanding regarding our approach to thyroid care, please visit our article here (link to thyroid disorders article).
New Patient Process
1. New Patient Phone Consultation- Call for your complementary 20 min consultation with Dr. Soorya. This is to get to know you and hear your story as well as briefly tell you how we approach thyroid care from a functional medicine perspective.
If you decide to join our clinic, you will proceed with the following steps.
2. In person evaluation (60 min)- The purpose of this visit is to finish talking about your story and decide what testing is needed. You will also have a physical exam at this time.
Typical testing includes:
- Iodine Challenge Test- The purpose of this test is to evaluate the thyroid from a nutritional perspective. There are a lot of environmental toxins such as Bromide, Chloride, and Fluoride that compete with iodine and it’s ability to nutritionally support the thyroid. In this test, you will take a 50 mg tablet of Iodine and measure your urine for 24 hours. Your urine will be analyzed for how much Bromide you release. This gives us an idea how nutritionally deficient in iodine you are. Iodine is a very central nutrient to optimal thyroid hormone production.
- Blood test- If you have already had blood work done, we are more than happy to see and work with what you have already if it is recent enough. Important blood work for evaluating thyroid function include iron studies, TSH, Free T3, total T3, Free T4, total T4, anti- TPO antibodies, anti thyroglobulin antibodies, and Reverse T3.
If something concerning is flagged on these initial tests or during our initial discussion, we may need to order additional testing depending on the nature of what was found.
3. Lab Review (30 min)- After all your testing is in, we will discuss the findings and put together your treatment plan which includes dietary, lifestyle, and nutriceutical interventions.
If you would like more in-depth dietary recommendations, you may also schedule an appointment with our registered dietitian.
4. Follow up appointments (20 min)- While you work with our clinic, you will have an appointment approximately every 6-8 weeks initially for the first 3 months while we proceed through the steps of nutritionally repleting your thyroid. This is for your safety and to ensure that you are tolerating all of the supplements, trouble shoot any problems you may be having, and help provide any guidance and coaching. Of course if you need to see us anytime sooner than your scheduled appointment, you may always schedule to see us. We are here for you!
After you are on all the supplements, we give your thyroid time to repair. At this time, we do not require follow-up but should any concerns or issues come up, we are always here for you and want to see you.
5. Discharge appointments (20-30 min)- Once we have successfully nutritionally repleted your thyroid, you will be taken off of supplements in a structured manner. We will meet one more time after you have been taken off supplements to see how you are doing and provide long term discharge instructions which include dietary, lifestyle modifications and periodic supplementation protocols.
Most patients take about 6-8 months to properly rehabilitate their thyroid. It does take time, but we want to make sure we do it right so that you sustain all of the improvements you make with our clinic!
Understanding Our Clinic Policies
Our clinic policies deserve a section all to itself and includes important information about working with our clinic, refund policies, payment information, cancelation policies, etc: We request that all new patients review this material prior to enrolling with our clinic.
Billing Process: As a medical center, it is our sincere intention that your visit be recognized by insurance AND qualify for reimbursement based on your “out-of network” benefits. Our clinic’s ability to provide superbills for your visit and utilize insurance for testing is why we are able to save patients thousands of dollars compared to other practices run by limited license clinicians such as chiropractors, naturopathic doctors, acupuncturist, etc. That said, we are unable to guarantee your insurance will reimburse your visits. Nor can we project how much reimbursement you might receive.
For general pricing information, please see the table below. We do offer follow-up visits via phone/video conference as a convenient way for you to still reach your health goals without feeling like you have to take a lot of time out of your schedule to drive and see us. We have patients all over the state and country who love our clinic for this!
Please note: the times below include preparation and post counseling with the nurse or clinical assistant, as well as direct collaboration with our physicians or clinicians.
We Are Here to Help You!
On behalf of the Natural Balance Team, we hope you have found this information helpful and we look forward to working with you!
To schedule your New Patient appointment or if you have any questions, please contact Lili Boggess at 734-929-2696, extension 11.