If we are suddenly deprived of sleep it can severely impact our physical and psychological well being. While we don’t fully understand sleep, we do know all mammals (humans and animals) require it. Requirements of course vary based on our activities, age, and state of health. More chronically, any mild to moderate sleep loss or even lack of restorative sleep is not always obvious. However, overtime, it too can severely erode one’s health. In fact, research has consistently demonstrated that chronic sleep interruption, or lack of restorative sleep, dramatically increases stress hormones, destabilizes blood sugar, interrupts cell and tissue repair mechanisms and decreases growth hormone as well as other hormones. In such cases, the body then does its best to make up for lost sleep by “up regulating” itself, which then leads to a vicious cycle of over stimulation, metabolic overdrive, catabolic breakdown, and the collapse of feel good neurochemicals in the brain that make a person, happy, well adjusted, and basically comfortable in their own skin. At Natural Balance, we understand that sleep deprivation can severely impact your quality of life. We are here to reassure you that we see and treat this EVERYDAY. There is hope!
For a more in depth understanding of how we approach sleep issues in our clinic, please visit our articles on Chronic Sleep Problems, Sleep Apnea and Disordered Breathing, and Bruxism and Sleep Apnea.
New Patient Process
1. New Patient Phone Consultation- Call for your complementary 20 min consultation with Dr. Soorya. This is to get to know you and hear your story as well as briefly tell you how we approach sleep disturbances from a functional medicine perspective.
If you decide to join our clinic, you will proceed with the following steps.
2. In person evaluation (60 min)- The purpose of this visit is to finish talking about your story and decide what testing is needed. You will also have a physical exam at this time.
Typical testing can include:
- In-Home Sleep Study- The purpose of the in home sleep study is to make you as comfortable as possible in your own environment. Often times, sleep studies conducted in labs may miss potential apnea since you might not even fall asleep due to being in an unfamiliar environment. If you already have had a sleep study done, we can discuss those results as well.
- Adrenal/Neurotransmitter testing (optional)- Depending on your history and presentation, adrenal/neurotransmitter imbalances can present with sleep disturbances. This test looks at your salivary cortisol levels as well as neurotransmitter metabolites.
- HIRREM (optional)- Imbalances in the nervous system can present with sleep disturbance as well. HIRREM evaluates the balance between the right and left side of your brain i.e. balance between your parasympathetic (rest and digest) and sympathetic (fight or flight) nervous system. This modality is both a screening as well as therapeutic tool to help bring you back into balance. For more information regarding HIRREM, please visit our page here.
If something concerning is flagged on these initial tests or during our initial discussion, we may need to order additional testing depending on the nature of what was found.
3. Lab Review (30 min)- After all your testing is in, we will discuss the findings and put together your treatment plan which includes dietary, lifestyle, and nutriceutical interventions.
- If sleep apnea is identified, we will review all of the conventional and alternatives for treatment.
- If neurotransmitter/adrenal issues are identified, we will plan out your rehabilitative process. Please visit our new patient process for neurotransmitters to understand our rehabilitative approach.
- Since we are a holistic practice, we never forget about the emotional issues that may accompany sleep disturbances. We have two wonderful emotional release techniques offered in our clinic. Please visit our page regarding them here (link to ER and RIM techniques).
If you would like more in-depth dietary recommendations, you may also schedule an appointment with our registered dietitian.
4. Follow up appointments (20 min)- While you work with our clinic, we will meet approximately once every two to three months initially to ensure you are tolerating the treatment modalities for sleep. If you are enrolling in the neurotransmitter program, follow-ups are approximately once a month. (Please visit our Neurotransmitter process) This is for your safety and to ensure that you are tolerating all of the supplements, trouble shoot any problems you may be having, and help provide any guidance and coaching. Of course if you need to see us anytime sooner than your scheduled appointment, you may always schedule to see us. We are here for you!
After you are on all the supplements, we will give your body time to repair. At this time, we do not require follow-up but should any concerns or issues come up, we are always here for you and want to see you.
5. Discharge appointments (20-30 min)- We will have one meeting where we will provide you with instructions on how to safely come off of supplements. After a couple weeks, we will meet again to make sure you are sustaining all the improvements and provide you with discharge lifestyle, dietary, and periodic supplementation instructions.
Understanding Our Clinic Policies
Our clinic policies deserve a section all to itself and includes important information about working with our clinic, refund policies, payment information, cancellation policies, etc. We request that all new patients review this material prior to enrolling with our clinic.
Billing Process: As a medical center, it is our sincere intention that your visit be recognized by insurance AND qualify for reimbursement based on your “out-of network” benefits. Our clinic’s ability to provide superbills for your visit and utilize insurance for testing is why we are able to save patients thousands of dollars compared to other practices run by limited license clinicians such as chiropractors, naturopathic doctors, acupuncturist, etc. That said, we are unable to guarantee your insurance will reimburse your visits. Nor can we project how much reimbursement you might receive.
For general pricing information, please see the table below. We do offer follow-up visits via phone/video conference as a convenient way for you to still reach your health goals without feeling like you have to take a lot of time out of your schedule to drive and see us. We have patients all over the state and country who love our clinic for this!
Please note: the times below include preparation and post counseling with the nurse or clinical assistant, as well as direct collaboration with our physicians or clinicians.
We Are Here to Help You!
On behalf of the Natural Balance Team, we hope you have found this information helpful and we look forward to working with you!
To schedule your New Patient appointment or if you have any questions, please contact Lili Boggess at 734-929-2696, extension 11.