Step 2: Learn More About Precision Medicine
Step 3: Meet Our Precision Medicine Doctors
Step 4: Our team will guide you from here…
The “New Patient Bundle” with our small-group teaching sessions is $1470 and represents the most comprehensive and cost-effective care our clinic offers. Once enrolled, you will meet with several team members in person, via phone and videoconference, as we gather your medical history, decide on initial labs, explain our clinic process, and prepare you for your teaching sessions and one-on-one visits with Dr. Boggess.
Appointments included in the New Patient Process:
1. Phone intake with Dr. Basinger or Dr. Soorya (30 min): Prior to this appointment, you will have completed our online New Patient Questionnaire. The purpose of this intake will be to “hear your story,” collect important health information, get you started on initial labs based on the history given (some labs can take up to 8 weeks to get the results), and to organize your chart in preparation for working with Dr. Boggess and our other clinicians.
2. Lab-Kits video conference with Leslie, our Patient Care Coordinator (20-30 min): Many of the diagnostic test we order have very specific instructions for collection as well as “hoops” required for insurance coverage. Therefore we set aside dedicated time to answer all your questions and assist you with collecting your specimens and submitting your paperwork in a timely and efficient manner. We will also use the opportunity to help set up your computer to use our secure video conferencing tool for future consults and educational sessions when/if needed based on your local.
3. Dr. Boggess Chart review (20 min): In preparation for the group education sessions, Dr. Boggess reviews all chart summaries to tailor the discussion to the needs of those 6-10 patients and their family members attending.
4. Brainwave, EEG Assessment (90 min): Our Brain Health Center is well-known for assessing and treating brain- and mood-related conditions from a holistic perspective. We use HIRREM (High-resolution, relational, resonance-based, electroencephalic mirroring) to look at the brain’s electrical activity during rest and simple mental tasks. This study allows us to evaluate the brain’s ability to relax and balance and helps to determine if you are a candidate for certain protocols we offer early on in the treatment process with our clinic.
Please Note: On the day of your assessment we will be placing read-only sensors on your scalp and ears. No treatment imputes are provided until your data is reviewed by Dr. Boggess and our clinical team. A treatment series typically ranges anywhere between 300 to 1000 minutes over 2-5 consecutive days in our center and continues thereafter conveniently at home using a portable unit. You can learn more about the process and watch informative videos and testimonials by visiting the Brain Health Section of our website.
5. Small-Group Teaching Session #1 at Natural Balance or via videoconference for 6-10 patients and family members (3.0 hrs): At Natural Balance, we have a passion for empowering patients with insights and understanding. During the group session, Dr. Boggess will be covering cutting edge theories about genomics, precision medicine, and our clinic’s approach to working with patients. The group session will also create a solid frame of reference to help you understand the labs and genetic tests we have ordered for you. Because Dr. Boggess will have reviewed every chart prior to the group visit, the interaction will be meaningful and productive. There will also be time for open group Q&A. Patients are encouraged to attend with their significant other, or in the case of a child, both parents are encouraged to attend if possible. Learn more about our Group Patient Education Approach.
6. In-person office visit with Dr. Boggess (60 min): This visit occurs after the group session and includes doing a complete physical exam, and providing further opportunity to collect additional details, review labs from previous doctors, and decide if there is a need for any further testing, et cetera. This visit is not intended to be a comprehensive review of the labs our clinic has ordered. Your lab review takes place following a second “3.0 hour Group Lab Review Session” included in the bundle (see below).
7. In-person or video conference visit with Dr. Boggess (20 min): This appointment is dedicated to reviewing your HIRREM assessment graphs, discussing the results and determining if you are a candidate for in-office vs. in-home treatment protocols.
8. Small-Group Teaching Session #2 (Group Lab Orientation) at Natural Balance or via videoconference (3.0 hrs): This session is similar to the first group session, but more advanced. Several weeks after initially meeting with our clinical team you will be given a binder with all your genetics and basic labs enclosed. During this session you will follow along with Dr. Boggess as he helps the group understand how to interpret and understand these tests. Again, this group process is tailored to the 6-8 patients and their family members attending and no two lab sessions are alike. The intended purpose of the session is to fully orientate you to the basic tenants of precision medicine and effectively prepare you to fully enjoy, understand, and participate in your one-on-one lab review appointment(s) to follow.
9. Appointments with our Registered Dietician (90 min) & Health Coach (60 min): At Natural Balance, we offer an interdisciplinary team approach to our patients. After your group session and office visit with Dr. Boggess, he will be referring you to our register dietitian and health coach for pertinent lifestyle and dietary instructions as per your individual genetics, needs, and overall health concerns. These visits can be either in-person or via videoconference as per your preference and local.
Pleases Note: The New Patient Bundle does not include any testing, one-on-one visits to review lab results, or future follow-up appointments. These are billed at our standard physician hourly rates (see below for details).
Many patients come to us from outside of Michigan. In such case, we customize the “New Patient Bundle” based on the complexity of the patient or situation, and whether or not you are traveling from out-of-state or overseas. A paid, 30-minute, phone meeting with the doctor is the first step to solidifying your decision to work with our clinic. Many of the initial medical and education visits associated with the new patient bundle are done via phone and videoconference.
However, please keep in mind that all patients must be seen at least once in person at our clinic, and we highly recommend this visit be coordinated with a Small-Group Education Session to take full advantage of the educational experience our clinic is known for. Thereafter, all future follow-up visits can be done via phone or videoconference. We are set up for video screen sharing and work with our out-of-state and overseas patients efficiently and effectively, and we ship all testing materials and products from our office to your home reliably.
This program is designed for busy executives, athletes, or out-of-state patients who do not wish to participate in any of the group sessions, and/or want the highest level of one-on-one interaction with Dr. Boggess. A paid, 60-minute phone meeting with the doctor is the first step to enroll yourself or your child into this program.
Please Note: There is very limited availability for this program and all patients must be seen at least once in person by Dr. Boggess, either in our office, or under select circumstances, a patient’s private residence. Thereafter, all future follow-up visits can be done via phone or videoconference at a distance.
5. Review Labs & Treatment Plan
Once you have completed the New Patient Process, and your tests and genetics are completed, Dr. Boggess and our clinical team will be teaching you how to interpret your labs and genetics and how we will use this information to make sense of your clinical puzzle and develop a comprehensive treatment plan:
First, you’ll attend Small-Group Session #2 (Group Lab Review) at Natural Balance or via videoconference (included in the New Patient Bundle). This group is similar to the first session, but more advanced and specific. Here you will be given a folder with all your genetics and basic labs and will follow along with Dr. Boggess as he helps the group understand how to interpret and understand these tests. Again, this group process is tailored to the 6-8 patients and their family members attending and no two lab teaching sessions are alike. The intended purpose of the session is to fully orientate you to the basic tenants of precision medicine with your own results in hand. Effectively preparing you to more fully enjoy, understand, and participate in your one-on-one lab review appointment(s) with Dr. Boggess and our clinical team.
Thereafter, you will be scheduled for your one-on-one Lab Review session(s) with Dr. Boggess (billed hourly): During these visits Dr. Boggess will explain, summarize, and dictate his impressions regarding all that needs to be accomplished in the months ahead. He will also develop, in partnership with you, a fully outlined treatment plan, including logical ordering of our protocols, estimated timeframes, etc. By time you have finished both the group and one-on-one education sessions with Dr. Boggess, you will have a full understanding of or your labs, genetic predispositions, current state of health, and the treatment process that lies ahead.
The one-on-one Lab Review sessions typically take 1.5 to 3.0 hours in total, over the course of 1 to 2 visits, depending on the complexity of the situation and how many labs are being reviewed.
Please Note: If for whatever reason, you are unable to attend the “Group Lab Review Session” prior to your scheduled one-on-one Lab Review appointments; OR you simply prefer to work one-on-one with Dr. Boggess, please plan on spending more time reviewing labs. Typically 4 to 5.0 hours, over the course of 2 to 3 visits are needed to review all labs, cross reference genetics, dictate results, and develop a comprehensive treatment plan with you.
Please watch this abbreviated video of the one-on-one Lab Review with Dr. Boggess
6. Understanding Follow-up Visits
Typical Follow-up Schedule: After completing the Lab Review process, the time-frame and hourly rates switch to our standard follow-up fee schedule (please see below) and are generally 30-45 minutes until progress is underway (usually 1-2 additional visits). Then, 20-30 minutes every 6-12 weeks, depending on the situation. The reason we follow-up frequently is that your condition and the recovery process is dynamic and changing, so our treatment approach has to be equally dynamic and changing. The same approach that is ideal for you in the beginning may be harmful 3-6 months later. Likewise too much nutritional supplementation for too long can be equally or even more harmful than the original deficiencies being treated. Therefore, we work intensively, follow up closely, and adjust our protocols carefully and frequently in partnership with our patients.
Determining Length of Treatment: Our clinic works closely with patients anywhere from 1 to 3 years, depending on the complexity of the situation. You will receive a written summary of all labs and suggested protocols at the completion of all one-on-one Lab Review sessions, as well as estimated time-frame to accomplish our treatment goals. Remember! Our job is to rehabilitate your health and return you to “natural balance.” Hence, the nutraceuticals/supplements we prescribe are not meant to be taken long term. They are given in a aggressive YET careful, systematic way for a predetermined timeframe before moving to other protocols. In other words, the order in which things are rehabilitated, and the degree to which a reliable foundation is laid, is the key to our success.
7. Enjoy Success Together!
What is our success rate? (Answered directly by Dr. Boggess)
“We’ve been asked this question too many times to count… In fact, I’d say this is the most frequent question asked by all new patients coming into our program.”
“To answer, we first need to define success? While it’s a difficult definition to come up with, patients seeking hope and encouragement have essentially required us to do our best. So here goes: Success for us is discharging patients from our program, 2-3 years after treatment begins, off all supplement protocols (other than ones required based on genetics, or other individualized needs) and feeling anywhere from 70-100% better.”
“Now let’s discuss some of the inner working of our clinic… You have to build the foundation before you put up the walls. Precision Medicine as we define it provides exciting hope, but we usually don’t want things to happen too quickly. I’d much prefer seeing a patient slowly sailing in the right direction over the quick-turnaround any day… You see our clinic often attracts patients who have failed time and again and most are ready to invest the time and energy to do things right after they become fully educated about our process. We in turn consider it a rare blessing that our clinic selects out for the most difficult, YET also the most motivated patients providing BOTH advantages and disadvantages to our program’s overall success.”
“My best estimate how often our patients achieve success (as defines above)? For every 10 patients who enroll in our Precision Medicine program, 6-7 (on average) will continue past 5-6 visits. Some drop off because they are feeling much better quickly, only to risk ending up right back where they were because the process was not completed. For others, life circumstances change. Some found the program to be more effort than what they were ready for. (Though we do try to minimize the number of individuals who fall under this category by giving as much information up front as possible!) But of those 6-7 patients, 5-6 will discharge recovered. That said, while the remaining 2-3 patients will not have achieved 70-100% improvement upon discharge, rarely do they indicate they are disappointed in our clinic’s effort, OR dissatisfied with feeling 30, 40, 60% better, etc. As I said, our clinic attracts very complicated, yet motivated patients and most who go the distance with our program leave very happy and well educated about their health circumstances.”
“How do you treat this or that condition differently? To understand my answer to this second most commonly asked question, you will likely enjoy reading my Letter to New Patients about Precision Medicine.
General Pricing Information
Insurance & Codes (for billing purposes)
Natural Balance is out of network for all insurance, and we do not bill your insurance for any services provided. We are happy to provide you with a itemized superbill for every encounter with the appropriate E&M codes to submit to your insurance for reimbursement to you directly. However, please understand that we have literally given up on trying to figure out the whims of insurance and cannot guarantee you will be reimbursed. For your reference, we have included the codes and pricing we use for the New Patient Bundle and follow up visits, phone consults, et cetera to assist you with checking with your insurance company ahead of time if you wish.
Please note: the times below include preparation and post counseling with the nurse or clinical assistant, as well as direct collaboration with our physicians or clinicians.
Billing Process: As a medical center, it is our sincere intention that your visit be recognized by insurance AND qualify for reimbursement based on your “out-of network” benefits. Our clinic’s ability to provide superbills for your visit and utilize insurance for testing is why we are able to save patients thousands of dollars compared to other practices run by limited license clinicians such as chiropractors, naturopathic doctors, acupuncturist, etc. That said, we are unable to guarantee your insurance will reimburse your visits. Nor can we project how much reimbursement you might receive.
Understanding Our Clinic Policies
This topic deserves a section all to itself and includes important information about working with our clinic, refund policies, payment information, cancelation policies, etc: We request that all new patients review this material prior to enrolling with our clinic.
We Are Hear to Help You!
On behalf of the Natural Balance Team, we hope you have found this information helpful and we look forward to working with you!
To schedule your New Patient appointment or if you have any questions, please contact Lili Boggess at 734-929-2696, extension 11.